Thursday, March 25, 2010

And another one.


So, it was the same story last night, draw yourself in a mirror, this time trying 3/4 view and including the shoulders as well. i thought it was funny, as i started, the instructor came up to me and said "It looks a little like a caricature."
I replied "Probably because I'm a caricature artist."
"Really?"
"Really."
It was interesting, i hadn't tried to add any exaggerations, and to my eyes there weren't any to be seen, but to her it looked like a caricature. i guess I'm so desensitized to the art form, the real subtle stuff doesn't even register. It's not necessarily a bad thing i guess. As was mentioned in the comments of my last post, a caricature usually gets a better response in terms of likeness than a portrait.

Anyway, after taking a closer look, i was able to catch a few things; such as my nose being a little too big, the space between my nose and mouth as well as my top lip being too big, and so on.

Eventually i ended up with this. sorry for the crappy photo, it's 18x24.(if anyone's got any suggestions on photographing pencil drawings, please share them). I cleaned it up in photoshop a little as well.

let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Niall O loughlin said...

Handsome and talented!!

BOD said...

Bravo !

Kevin Ryan said...

Chiselled from marble so ya are. I actually seem to suffer from the same sort of artistic ailment. My life drawings always seem to look like my own caricatures. Too many pointy elbows and claw fingers!

Espen said...

I was going to tell you that I think this looks like a caricature more than a real life portrait, but you just wrote that you're aware of that, so I won't bother. But I just wrote it anyway :D
I wonder if I will suffer from the same thing when I go into art school again this autumn. I better get away from caricatures for a while now...

Tenzin said...

Its interesting that you said you may've got desensitized to the subtle differences while doing portrait. I am sure I have this problem too, got to check out :)

Will Appledorn said...

thanks for the comments fellas!

It's nice to see that something i post sparks a little thought or conversation.