Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Dragon and it's Rider

Something I've been playing around with this week.
Inspired by a conceptart character design. I've learned it's REALLY hard to come up with an original Dragon . Also, i've never drawn one before. I just thought it would be an interesting idea if there were flightless dragons. This dragon was based on a flightless bird, the osterich, but the colors come from exotic parrots and whatnot.Threw in some Iguana features for good measure. I'd be a big fat liar if i said 'How to train your dragon' wasn't in the back of my mind as well. So I'm thinking he'll be a fast runner, to make up for the flying. I don't know. I'm making this up as i go.

The Rider design was inspired by a number of games, films and shows which I've seen a lot of lately. The Brief on conceptart implied that the rider was some sort of warrior, who used the dragon's scales' for armor. I went in a bit of a different direction. I wanted to capture a sort of a sci-fi//western vibe so she's got a gun on her hip and spurs, but 'armor' just didn't fit what i had in mind, I've had enough of that in Skyrim.

will have a more polished piece hopefully by tuesday.

2 comments:

GOGOPEDRO said...

pretty slick start with this exercise... do you think you'll do some more, and work towards a polished Illo?

P

Will Appledorn said...

for sure. Working on that now. Going to use this for my portfolio I think. Present it with some sketches and character sheets.